Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week 9 - Last Week

This was the last week of my internship.  I worked 5 days this week instead of the usual 4 to make up for missing a day last week.  Thursday was interesting because we had 5 total interns and one keeper, so most of the normal routine was done early.  We all watched the keeper do training with the black lemurs in the morning, and got done with everything else so it was a pretty relaxing and easy going day.  Friday was normal, and on Saturday, in the morning I got to help my keeper with feeding the western pond turtles that the zoo is raising as part of a recovery program.  On Sunday, we had our intern behind the scenes tour in the morning with otters before they were sent outside for the day, and our intern class on animal capture and restraint in the afternoon.  Also in the afternoon, I got to get a behind the scenes with the elephants and learn about them and see some of the behaviors the elephants are trained to do to help the keepers to care for them.  I also got to hand-feed one elephant some bananas.  Monday was my last day.  I spent most of the morning watching the cats outside to make sure they didn't go where they weren't supposed to.  In the afternoon, I got to go feed the squirrel monkeys snails that I had picked up from the lemur exhibit that morning.  It was a very fun experience watching the monkeys rubbing the snails on things and trying to get the snail out of its shell.  A little bit later in the afternoon I got to do some goat training with one of the pygmy goats, Ashes, she is a very smart goat and learns new behaviors very quickly.  After that I helped to close up and that was the end of my last day at the Oakland Zoo.  I very much enjoyed my internship here and will miss it greatly.
Ring Tailed Lemur soaking up some sun
Ring Tailed Lemurs getting a drink right after I gave them fresh water
Ashes, the pygmy goat I did training with

No comments:

Post a Comment